Saturday, May 7, 2011

May 7, Day 28 of the Ride

Well, this morning we left Fort Hancock, TX and headed west on Highway 20. There were fields of cotton just sprouting. We saw part of the fence protecting our border. Not sure exactly how this works as I'm pretty sure the Mexican Nationals are intelligent enough to walk to the end of the fence and go around. I'm just saying..... Here is a picture of the fence. It might be a little hard to see but if you can zoom in you can see the rusty protection.

I have been seeing these green cones in fields throughout Texas and today I finally stopped to learn what they are.  They are traps for Pink Bullworms and you are not to disturb them.  So I took a picture an left.

We stopped at a town called Tornillo.  Across the street from where the Bus was parked was a Historical Marker.  The town derives its name from the screw-bean bush, a hardy firewood once prevalent in the area.  I just let love the name of the bush.  I also saw a young boy waiting for the bus with his mother and grandmother and gave him a couple of the BMX magazines.  He seemed pretty happy.

I saw these on the side of the road and knew Dad would want to see them.


A little further down the road I saw this house.  Now I've seen people build roofs over their trailer houses before but this is a little over the top.  Why not just build a home?


I wonder what happens on this street?

Really, shouldn't this be obvious?  We have seen some strange signs in Texas like "Obey Warning Signs."  Things may be bigger in Texas but not sure they are always smarter.....

Today was Bill's last day with POP's Ride.  He is the last of the original crew that started in St Augustine on April 10.  Bill - we had a blast having you along.  You made us laugh and I think we made you laugh a few times also.  I'm not sure what the      we are going to do without you.


Dad's cousin Les will fly home to Jan tomorrow (Sunday).  We have known Les for a long time and he is always good for some laughs and wild remarks.  Les has driven the bus for the last two-ish weeks and has add some life to the party on more than one occasion.  Jan - we look forward to having you back in Phoenix for Mom's fried chicken and who knows what else.  Thanks Les for driving the Bus!

Now here comes the surprise part of the day.  We were riding through El Paso when all of a sudden WHAM! there are people holding signs on the sidewalk saying "Go POPs GO".  Liz Plass and her family were there!  Liz works at SWY in Phoenix in the same department I do.  She was there for Mother's Day and took time to surprise us.  How cool is that?  This now the third cool thing that happened in Texas.

Finally, today we left Texas.  Dear Texas, your winds never stop, your roads are rough and your state lines have a lot of hills in between.  Until next time, ciao'!

We are now in New Mexico for four days - three riding and one resting.  Then, shhhhh, we are in Arizona and we pick up three or four riders to help us make more stories and memories.  way cool. 

Phoenix, see ya in 6 days!

BONUS - If you made this far, here is a special Mona story.  She was riding in the SAG with Ed and had her window down.  We were in El Paso and it was hot.  I thought I would help cool her down so at the stop light I rolled up with my Ice Cold Water bottle and gave her a little shot of love.  Game, Set, Match. 

No comments:

Post a Comment