Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Ride - Back to Phoenix......and Beyond

Well, we have been back on Phoenix a week and life is getting back to "normal".  Not sure that is a good thing and definitely not something I want.  More on that later.

The Ride Back To Phoenix
After breakfast at Ricky's in San Diego - I do recommend eating there next time you are in San Diego.  It is on Hotel Circle by the Comfort Inn.  Whenever you have 20 or so people for breakfast, it should be fun.  Then we headed back to the hotel to load while Dad, Shannon, Cole and Kurt's Crew headed to Sea World for the Day.

Thanks to Jerry for driving the Mother Ship home and Melinda for driving the Flex home.  As a result, I was able to sit in the passenger seat of the Ship and doze in and out for about six hours.

I have spent the last week unloading, cleaning and reloading the Ship.  We have also been trying to clean up the garage and the inside of the house....both are a disaster.  It is almost like moving into a new house with boxes and stuff everywhere and not quite sure where to put everything. 

What's Next?
I have been asked this question a lot lately.  What I want and what the Big Guy has planned are probably two different things.  I want Kyle, Shannon and I to get invited to Letterman so we can tell our story and draw grassroots attention to PD.  I want a job dedicated to raising money for PD and spreading the word about how to live a great life with PD.  I want....something more productive than working for "the man" who shows very little appreciation for my contribution to his increased wealth or what is important to me.  I know these may be career limiting statements but they are the truth.  The Man says we are to have courage - well, there you go - COURAGE. 

Do Shannon and I have plans for the next adventure?  Not yet but we have talked and have some ideas.  Some are probably larger dreams than riding across the country but hey, I never thought that would have happened two years ago.  Shannon, Kyle and Shane (SKS) have talked about riding motorcycles coast to coast.  Anyone know someone at CAN-AM that can help make that a reality?  We would also need some help with paid vacation time but I have faith if it is meant to be, we will be riding motorcycles before 2015. 

I believe a great fundraising opportunity is breakfast at PIR for the next NASCAR race.  Anyone in for helping make this dream a reality?

What I Learned
I learned I have an incredibly large number of amazing friends and family.  People who are willing to make time in their lives for my crazy ideas and dreams.  People who want nothing in return but to be involved.  Not sure why I have been blessed with all of these incredible people in my life as I'm pretty sure I have not earned it.  To everyone who helped plan, volunteer, support, pray and make Our Ride a reality and Success - Thank You.  Our Ride - includes You!  A special thanks to Sarah Worley and Leesa Ames for the support they provided their husbands and Team POP's.  We would not have been successful without your support of Kyle and Carl.  Also, Thanks to Mom and Dad.  Your dedication to your children's dreams is incredible and life would have been much harder without your support.

I learned my Dad's disease has impacted me in ways I didn't realize.  I have been expecting my Dad to function as he did 30 years ago.  Be sharp as a tack.  Have quick answers to my questions.  Help me solve problems around the house quickly and without hesitation.  I expect him to remember what we talked about yesterday.  Unfortunately, these expectations are not reasonable.  Parkinson's and age are responsible for the decline in his abilities.  My expectations (or needs) have resulted in me not always treating Dad with respect.  For this, I apologize.  I will adjust my expectations to be more reasonable.

I learned there are still a lot of good people in the United States.  People who are willing to support people they do not know who are taking on crazy adventures.  From the Shell Station Clerk in San Diego who provided free coffee to the owner of a B&B in Burton, TX who didn't charge us to stay at his place, to pastor's of churches willing to lend us their suburban or cook us meals in their own homes.  Incredible experiences we will not soon forget.

I have learned my heart is not in a successful career - as defined by the world.  It is in making the world a better place.  Not sure exactly what this means as far as my future my I pray for the wisdom to recognize the opportunities and the patience to wait for them.

Yes, I have struggled some getting back into the swing of things.  My mind is still on the bike somewhere else in the U.S. wondering what else we can do to bring more attention to PD and help make those impacted with it have a better life.

In August, SKS have been invited to ride in the Colorado Copper Triangle where we will help spread the word about PD and Davis Phinney's Foundation.  Yep, we travel as a party of three riders - three friends.

Stay tuned to find out what is in store next for Team POP's.  All I know, is Our Ride isn't over.  We are just waiting to see what the next route will be.

Until then - Ride Safe, Ride Smart and Ride with Passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment