Saturday, April 16, 2011

Below Sea Level - April 17

Well, today was my first day back on the bike after four days of mandatory rest.  I felt good during the ride and feel good tonight.  Hopefully, I will feel good tomorrow and Monday and then we have another rest day on Tuesday.

We are out of Florida and into Alabama.  We are 1/5 of the way to San Diego!  One week done and four to go.

Today was spent riding into the wind along the Gulf Coast.  The temperature was great but the wind was a tad monotonous.  Plus, I spent most of the day riding below sea level even though I was within site of the ocean.  Not sure I understand how that works or want to know but the GPS showed I was anywhere from 4 to 17 feet below sea level.  My guess is, today was the closest I have come to understanding what it is like to live with PD.  The wind was restricting my movements and there wasn't a dang thing I could do about it but try harder and that just tired me out.  Then, my GPS said I should have been under water so I was wondering what in today's adventure would go out on me next.  For the PD patient, the thoughts are will it be my speech, my memory, my arms, my legs....my body.  I definitely better understand the challenges my Dad faces every day.

The ferry ride to Dauphin Island was great.  We met a Dr from Birmingham who had actually heard of POP's Ride before.  Hmmmm, I wonder how he heard of us?  He took one of our posters to hang in his office and he was going to encourage his PD patients to donate and spread the word about Our Ride.  While on the ferry, we had a few more people come up and ask us to "Tell us what you are doing."  They were amazed at what we are attempting and excited about Our Ride.  The picture above is the bridge from the Island to back to the Mainland.  It was a big hill.

Towards the end of the ride today I took out my ear buds and just listened to the sounds around me.  I heard a lawn mower and smelled the fresh cut grass.  I looked and there was a teenager riding an old rider, nothing new and fancy but it sure did get the job done.  I heard the birds singing and didn't hear a single siren or car horn...that was nice!  I smelled the fresh air with a hint of something sweet blooming.  The slower pace of life with wide open spaces and star filled nights.  Makes me miss the years I spent growing up in Nebraska.  Some will probably say its a sign I'm getting older.  For me, its a reality check that I need to make changes and find a place which has the surroundings I enjoy.....regardless of the income.

....I wonder what else I will learn on this Ride?  I think Mike Magnusen was right, life is simpler on the bike and the bike can cure a bad day.

Thanks for letting me ramble and I hope you are all having a good day.

Until next time....God Bless.

Shane

No comments:

Post a Comment