Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Ride - April 26

Today, it was hard to get out of bed.  My ankles hurt, my knees hurt, my shoulder hurts and I'm tired.  But, I went to work and am glad I did.  We left Butler at our normal time, about 7am and headed south....then we turned and headed north....wonder why we can't just go west!  Anywho, I was about done by lunch. 

After lunch we got back on the bikes and rode through a couple of Texas State Parks.  These parks were filled with pine trees and smelled just like Arizona.  They were full of hills and free of any air movement (aka wind) which made it very warm.  Once out of the parks we headed southwest again.  Les and Mona went ahead to Lockhart where we ended our day and called back to Bill to let everyone know there was a sign for POP's on the side of the road about six miles outside of Lockhart.  Shannon said, "I bet that is Karen's place." 

Knowing the sign was there and someone local was excited about Our Ride gave me the energy and motivation to complete the day.  I rode for several hours in the heat, wind and hills to be on the bike when we got to the sign.  Guess what - when we got to the sign, Karen was waiting for us with cold Gatorade!  Way Cool.  She was so excited about meeting us and what we are doing.  Funny thing is, I don't think she realizes how important her sign is to us....me.  At times, I have felt as though what we are doing is really only being noticed by our friends, family and a few others who have randomly found out about Our Ride.  She explained she learned about Our Ride from a flier she saw at a local BBQ joint in Lockhart.  She then went to our website, read about us and sent Shannon an email.  Karen's Mom has PD so she is very interested in what we are doing and about how we are trying to spread the word about PD and the treatments available.

Karen and her Parents met us at Chisholm's Trail BBQ for dinner.  We were all honored to meet her Mom and Dad and spend some time with them.  Karen surprised us again at dinner when she said she was buying.  Such a humbling experience.  We have met some very neat people so far on the trip and they have all blessed us in different ways.

Karen - Thank you taking the time to make the sign for us.  Thank you for your words of encouragement and support.  Thank you for dinner.  Meeting you today has provided me with the energy to tackle another day...week...the rest of the trip.  I wish your Parents and your family many more years together.

Karen's Sign with Dad and Karen.  She had everyone's name listed on it.  Way Cool.


The dinner crew at Chisholm's

Today, I would like to recognize all those from Safeway NASC who have helped with POP's Ride fundraisers and organization.  Specifically - Mona, Sue Mac, Sue R, Jody, Patti - for the many hours you put in to planning the various events.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment