Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Day 10 - up we go again

Newport to Coos Bay
47.88 miles and 1,975 feet of elevation gain.  Including one hill that was about 100 yards long at about 30% grade...and it was at the end.

The weather was awesome today - mostly cloudy and a little chilly.  No rain but it looked like it wanted to.  Today's ride included several large, tall bridges and a few good climbs.  Most of the elevation gain was from the normal up, down, up, down hills along the coast.

About 20 miles into the ride, I crossed the road to find a tree.  As I was getting off the bike a lady in a truck came down the drive.  She asked what was going on across the road - Jer was parked there with the POPs logo on the side of the truck.  Jer and I started talking to Deborah and explained what we were doing and such.  We probably talked to her for at least 15 minutes.  She was very interested in what we were doing.

Again the scenery was incredible.  We had just completed one of the good climbs and were looking to our right at the valley below when I looked to my left and saw this view.  I'm sure this picture doesn't do the view justice.  In fact, none of the pictures do justice to what we are riding through.  I have driven up the 101 and am sure I saw very little of what we are seeing now.


I was reading a sign about the town of Gardiner and felt like someone was watching me.  I looked around and found this lady hanging out on the roof.  Odd.  Anywho, the town was founded by a Bostonian in the 1800's and at one time was a large logging town.  Its nickname is "The White City"



These flowers are all over the place up here.  Yes, that is the ocean in the background.


The signs up here make me laugh.  The guy below I find interesting.  He is on every Tsunami sign and he looks like he is "hanging 10" on the wave.


I saw this creation and thought of my nephew Cole.  This totally looks like something he would create in a few hours with whatever scrap lumber and odds & ends he finds laying around.  Then, he would invite his Uncles over and we would play on it for hours.  Miss that kid but am looking forward to spending the weekend with him when we get to San Diego.

Tonight we are staying at the Gloria Dei Lutheran Church.  We got here a little early but were welcomed as though we were right on time.  Nancy cooked us an incredible meal of pomegranate BBQ Beef sandwiches, coleslaw, baked beans and fresh pineapple.  Lynn made us some incredible chocolate chip cookies.

We all continue to be amazed at the generosity of people.  In addition, all the people we meet fit very well into our group.  They all seem to share our sense of humor and sarcasm.  To find a few who are like us would be normal.  To find people every night who are "like" us is not a coincidence.  We are very blessed with the lodging Rachel has lined up for us.

Thanks to all who are supporting on this ride through your prayers.  It is making a difference.

Today, I asked Dad what Grandpa would say about this ride and Dad riding all these miles.  He said Grandpa would say, "I don't understand" and then he said he would support us all the way.  Sure wish he was around to see what his son is accomplishing.

Well, tomorrow it is suppose to rain some and have a pretty nasty headwind.  Pray for us to have the strength to overcome the wind.

Good Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment