Friday, May 9, 2014

Day 12 - puttin' miles on the shelves

Port Orford to Brookings
Mileage - 57.20
Elevation Gain - 2,637

Today was a challenging day.  We are just under half way through this adventure - I am both physically and emotionally tired.  Unfortunately, this is not always filtered out when talking to others on the team and for this I apologize.  When you are used to living alone and now live with 6-9 people - you get no down time.  No time to relax and recover.  Most people will not understand this challenge but I know I am not alone in this need for some quiet time.

This morning I was kind of in my own world, riding a little ways behind Carl, and had a reality check.  Up to this point, I have been focused on making sure we finished the miles each day.  Thinking making the mileage goal/plan meant we were successful.  This morning I realized making the mileage goal is irrelevant.  Giving Dad and Carl the opportunity to ride as many miles as they can go is what is important.  It is important for them personally and for all those who have PD.  As a result, we have changed our riding plans.  We ride with Dad and Carl, at their pace, until we have covered the miles or 4:30pm. 

If the miles aren’t done – who cares!  What is important, is for this team to show that PD is not a life ending disease but rather one which provides for new opportunities never thought of before.  Ten years ago, Dad and Carl would have never dreamed of cycling around town let alone down the West Coast of the US.  Now, they are showing everyone PD doesn’t stop you, it just forces you to turn a corner.  From there, it is your responsibility to take the next step.

Today is also the last day for Jerry Hogg and Duane Stutzman as our SAG drivers.  Tomorrow morning they leave for home.  Tonight their replacements arrived – Nathaniel Patton and Mona Amaro.  Keith Barr also arrived to ride with us for the next two weeks as we ride through California.

It is pouring outside as I write this.  I sure hope it gets it out of its system by morning.

A cool rocky beach


Shannon pondering life.  What you can't see is the 50' drop off behind him.


2 comments:

  1. That is one of the best blog posts I've read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Bev! Nice job, Shane. You all are doing an amazing thing!

    ReplyDelete